On October 25, 2016 –the first day of the ninth NBA Season without the Sonics in Seattle–Chris Hansen announced that his investor group is removing the public financing component completely from the SoDO arena proposal, making an already outstanding deal even better and reigniting the hopes of Sonics fans everywhere!
- Seattle Arena group offers to privately finance arena, fix Lander Street (KING 5)
- Chris Hansen offers to build Seattle an arena without public funding (DEADSPIN)
- Billionaire offers to fund construction of arena to bring NBA back to Seattle (Sports Illustrated)
- Seattle investor grouop offers to privately finance new NBA arena (ESPN)
- Hansen arena group buys more SoDo land, investing nearly $125 total (KING 5)
On November 14, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson announced he is joining the SoDo arena investment group and will help lead the charge to bring the NBA back to Seattle!
- Russell Wilson joins SoDo arena group (KING 5)
- Boomshakalaka! Let’s bring the Sonics back – by Russell Wilson (Players Tribune)
- Russell Wilson on SoDo arena: ‘The Time is Now” (KING 5)
All of this comes at a time when rumors about NBA and NHL expansion or relocation to Seattle are at an all-time high:
- Seattle is a far better market than at least 10 NBA cities (NBA.com)
- Amico Sources: NBA making Seattle return a priority
- Kevin Durant hasn’t forgotten about Seattle (Sports Illustrated)